By April E. Holm
A state Divided: Evangelicals, Loyalty, and Sectionalism within the Civil battle Era deals a brand new research of faith and the Civil conflict, exploring how evangelical Christians formed American religion and ideas approximately slavery within the mid-nineteenth century. The border states stood on the heart of a protracted fight over slavery, sin, and politics in American evangelicalism that fed on person congregations and whole states. This ebook illuminates border evangelicals’ view in their providential position in American historical past, demonstrates that border church buildings demonstrated the phrases of the talk over the connection among church and nation in wartime, and explains how the main southern evangelical denominations effectively resisted postwar reconciliation.
Read or Download A Kingdom Divided: Evangelicals, Loyalty, and Sectionalism in the Civil War Era (Conflicting Worlds: New Dimensions of the American Civil War) PDF
Best american history books
Patrick Henry Jones's obituary vowed that "his reminiscence shall no longer fade between males. " but in little greater than a century, background has mostly forgotten Jones's substantial accomplishments within the Civil warfare and the Gilded Age that undefined. during this masterful biography, Mark H. Dunkelman resurrects Jones's tale and restores him to his rightful status as a superb army officer and influential flesh presser of nineteenth-century the US.
George Croghan--land speculator, Indian dealer, and well-known Indian agent--was a guy of interesting, if doubtful, personality whose occupation epitomized the historical past of the West sooner than the Revolution. This learn is predicated on Croghan's long-lost own papers that have been came across by means of the writer in an previous Philadelphia attic.
This number of 11 unique essays is going past conventional, border-driven reviews to put the histories of local american citizens, indigenous peoples, and primary state peoples in a bigger context than simply that of the dominant kingdom. As Transnational Indians within the North American West shows, transnationalism may be expressed in a variety of methods.
Makes use of a multidisciplinary method of examine the transcultural phenomenon of the satan in early sleek Peru. This paintings demonstrates that the interplay among the Christian and the Andean worlds used to be way more advanced than any interpretation that posits a transparent dichotomy among conversion and resistance may recommend.
- Sold Down the River: Slavery in the Lower Chattahoochee Valley of Alabama and Georgia
- Shawnee Minisink: A Stratified Paleoindian–Archaic Site in the Upper Delaware Valley of Pennsylvania
- The Otis Family in Provincial and Revolutionary Massachusetts (Published by the Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture and the University of North Carolina Press)
- Randall Lee Gibson of Louisiana: Confederate General and New South Reformer (Southern Biography Series)
- Thomas Jefferson, Legal History, and the Art of Recollection (Cambridge Historical Studies in American Law and Society)
- A Land without Castles: The Changing Image of America in Europe, 1780-1830
Additional info for A Kingdom Divided: Evangelicals, Loyalty, and Sectionalism in the Civil War Era (Conflicting Worlds: New Dimensions of the American Civil War)