By Richard S. Dunn
Read or Download A Tale of Two Plantations: Slave Life and Labor in Jamaica and Virginia PDF
Best american history books
Patrick Henry Jones's obituary vowed that "his reminiscence shall now not fade between males. " but in little greater than a century, historical past has mostly forgotten Jones's substantial accomplishments within the Civil warfare and the Gilded Age that undefined. during this masterful biography, Mark H. Dunkelman resurrects Jones's tale and restores him to his rightful status as a good army officer and influential baby-kisser of nineteenth-century the USA.
George Croghan--land speculator, Indian dealer, and trendy Indian agent--was a guy of attention-grabbing, if doubtful, personality whose occupation epitomized the heritage of the West earlier than the Revolution. This learn relies on Croghan's long-lost own papers that have been came upon by means of the writer in an outdated Philadelphia attic.
This number of 11 unique essays is going past conventional, border-driven reviews to put the histories of local americans, indigenous peoples, and primary state peoples in a bigger context than simply that of the dominant state. As Transnational Indians within the North American West shows, transnationalism should be expressed in numerous methods.
Makes use of a multidisciplinary method of examine the transcultural phenomenon of the satan in early smooth Peru. This paintings demonstrates that the interplay among the Christian and the Andean worlds used to be way more advanced than any interpretation that posits a transparent dichotomy among conversion and resistance could recommend.
- American History, Race and the Struggle for Equality: An Unfinished Journey
- Antietam 1862: Gateway to Emancipation (Battles and Leaders of the American Civil War)
- State Looteries: Historical Continuity, Rearticulations of Racism, and American Taxation (Routledge Advances in Sociology)
- Lakota Performers in Europe: Their Culture and the Artifacts They Left Behind (William F. Cody Series on the History and Culture of the American West)
- Robert Livingston and the Politics of Colonial New York, 1654-1728 (Published by the Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture and the University of North Carolina Press)
- The Cavalry of the Army of the Cumberland
Extra info for A Tale of Two Plantations: Slave Life and Labor in Jamaica and Virginia