By Benjamin Nicholas Lawrance
Read or Download Amistad's Orphans: An Atlantic Story of Children, Slavery, and Smuggling PDF
Best american history books
Patrick Henry Jones's obituary vowed that "his reminiscence shall no longer fade between males. " but in little greater than a century, historical past has mostly forgotten Jones's substantial accomplishments within the Civil conflict and the Gilded Age that undefined. during this masterful biography, Mark H. Dunkelman resurrects Jones's tale and restores him to his rightful status as a great army officer and influential flesh presser of nineteenth-century the USA.
George Croghan--land speculator, Indian dealer, and famous Indian agent--was a guy of interesting, if doubtful, personality whose occupation epitomized the historical past of the West prior to the Revolution. This examine relies on Croghan's long-lost own papers that have been came upon via the writer in an outdated Philadelphia attic.
This number of 11 unique essays is going past conventional, border-driven experiences to put the histories of local americans, indigenous peoples, and primary country peoples in a bigger context than simply that of the dominant country. As Transnational Indians within the North American West shows, transnationalism will be expressed in a variety of methods.
Makes use of a multidisciplinary method of examine the transcultural phenomenon of the satan in early smooth Peru. This paintings demonstrates that the interplay among the Christian and the Andean worlds was once way more advanced than any interpretation that posits a transparent dichotomy among conversion and resistance may recommend.
- The Otis Family in Provincial and Revolutionary Massachusetts (Published by the Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture and the University of North Carolina Press)
- The Ravenscroft School in Asheville: A History of the Institution and Its People and Buildings: 32 (Contributions to Southern Appalachian Studies)
- American Education: A History
- Apostle of Union: A Political Biography of Edward Everett (Civil War America)
- The Home Voices Speak Louder Than the Drums: Dreams and the Imagination in Civil War Letters and Memoirs
Additional info for Amistad's Orphans: An Atlantic Story of Children, Slavery, and Smuggling